Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cooking with E & S


On March 11, I finally got a break from feeling like I was dying and got reminded of why I was doing all of this.

E & S were in town visiting and offered to make dinner for me and my family. A homemade french meal, who could say no to that? I don't care how sick I'd been, I was determined to feel better, suck it up and have a great time with them. I had plenty of other days available to feel miserable.

I was so nervous to see them again, since the last time was before I had the embryo transfer. Although I'd felt like time was crawling, I couldn't believe how far we'd come! I was finally pregnant and actually showing that day. I think the twins wanted to show off to their daddies.

They got to Corvallis around 5 o'clock that day and were the cutest thing ever. Driving a Fiat they rented for their time here, and wearing their normal "French" attire of skinny jeans and sweaters. I still can't get over how adorable they are.

My sister Katie and my nephew Preston joined us for dinner, along with my Mom and Sarah and Jacoby (the nephew she was pregnant with when they met her originally). Where had the time gone? They had yet to meet Katie or Preston, and she was excited to meet the two men I couldn't stop raving about!

They brought all sorts of food with them, appetizers and two things to make for dinner. TWO things? Boy was this pregnant girl excited. (Just secretly hoping I could keep things down long enough to enjoy the French cuisine.)

Smoked salmon was what they had told me they were making, but it appeared to be a lot more elaborate than that! I helped to separate the salmon pieces while they did most of the hard work.

The first course turned out to be this AMAZING smoked salmon and shrimp little cake type thing, that had tabasco sauce and capers in it.


Let me tell you, it LOOKED amazing but tasted 100 times better. The next course was chicken wrapped in bacon. These men knew the way to this pregnant girl's heart! But, by the time I finished the salmon "cake" or whatever it was, I barely had room for the chicken.

Of course they brought what I imagine to be DELICIOUS wine with them from France, two bottles of Merlot that I couldn't stop staring at. My mom enjoyed it with them and I was stuck sipping on apple cider. Thankfully they only drank one bottle and I have the second bottle sitting on my kitchen counter just waiting to be opened! Likely it will be opened shortly after the delivery of the twins in celebration! (How far away is that again?)

After dinner, we sat and chatted about the upcoming events: the "big" ultrasound, the arrival of the babies and when they should arrive in Portland to be here for the birth. As cute as they are, it's hard to explain to them that there isn't really a set date for when they will be born. It could be anywhere between 32 weeks (or even earlier) to 40 weeks. And at this point, my doctor still planned on letting them make their appearance on their own accord.

They had been shopping in Portland the day before and brought some of their purchases to show us. Onesies and baby hats and mittens, and swaddlers! How exciting! I remember shopping being my favorite part in preparing for Peyton's arrival. They bought a super nice diaper bag, as well, that I will definitely have to search for if I ever have another child of my own.

Just in case they aren't able to be here for the birth, they suggested I take the diaper bag full of their purchases home with me and ready for when the babies are born. Even though I told them they won't need much while they are at the hospital, it made them feel more comfortable knowing the babies would have their OWN things.

It was brought up during conversation about how anxious they are to find out the genders of the twins, and my mom suggested they "talk to me about that!" Ah mom! I was trying so hard to not say anything to avoid getting their hopes up. But, I figured why not! It was the last time I was going to see them before the babies were born (or close to their birth) and at least I could share the early predictions with them in person.

E got out his iPhone and asked if we could record a video of me telling them. He recorded my sisters and mom saying who they were and what part they played in this whole adventure, and then they recorded me telling them (and reminding them it wasn't 100%) what the genders MIGHT be.

I wish you could have seen their faces. Even knowing that these predictions could be totally wrong, they were glowing with excitement. I'm pretty sure I saw some tears come out of S's eyes. I think he was most excited at the possibility of a girl. This way, they would have one of each!

After the recording of the predictions, they had presents to share! They had bought Peyton a Captain America car that came with a Captain America and some sort of missile thing that shot off the back. He was pretty excited!

For me, a book! It was called "The Secret" and it looked way fancier than any book I'd ever bought. Apparently when E & S read the book it changed their lives completely, and they hoped it would do the same for me. I couldn't wait to get started!

After taking pictures to document the history of it all, it was time for them to head back to Portland. Their flight home left the next morning and I'm sure they would be exhausted.

Hugs and "French" kisses helped say goodbye, and I was on cloud 9. It didn't matter how terrible I had felt up until that moment, even hours before their arrival, I remembered the exact reason I was going through all of this. E & S glowing with excitement seeing my belly growing, hearing of the gender predictions, and talking about the actual birth of their beautiful babies... it all made sense again.

1 comment:

  1. Love reading about all this!! Did you read the book??

    ReplyDelete