Friday, June 29, 2012

Putting my foot down!

By March 15, I had been sent to the ER another time, been in the nursing station and then actually admitted to the hospital that day. Dr. Lewis, whom I had actually requested to never see again, decided it would be best to finally admit me and have me on constant fluids for "a few days."

A couple days prior, I had requested to be referred to the Perinatology department up in Portland, who had done my 13 week genetic testing. I loved the OB up there and just the whole environment. They dealt specifically with high-risk pregnancies, and I was pretty sure I qualified. Dr. Lewis, as much as I LOVED him, was not pleased at the request and tried to assure me that "they could give me the same treatment here in Salem as the Perinatologists in Portland." HA! You mean, sending me to the ER every 3 days?

At least being admitted to the hospital meant that I had my own room and I was in the Labor & Delivery section of the hospital. In what they call the antipartum section. (Prior to delivery).

Being as dehydrated as I was, it took them 8 attempts that day to get an IV in me. They even had to call in an "IV therapist" to finally get one to stay. Talk about ouch!

It was the worst night I'd had in a long time, although I was actually hydrated for once. For longer than 5 hours at a time. I couldn't get comfortable with an IV stuck in my wrist, I had to pee more times than I can count and drag along my IV cart with me every time. It was a pain, and not something I wanted to have to keep doing.

I had taken my iPad and my phone with me, and there was a TV in the room, but it still didn't help. I wanted to be home, and STAT!

They gave me round the clock anti nausea medicine, Zofran every 8 hours and Reglan every 6. It was the doctor's hope that the combination of the two medications would finally help with the vomiting. At least for the first afternoon and night, it didn't. Everything I ate at the hospital made me throw up. (It could be that it was because it was disgusting hospital food, but I was still throwing up nonetheless.)

During the middle of the night I woke up with a pretty intense headache that just kept getting worse. They gave me tylenol at first, and when that didn't do anything they gave me percocet. My headache went away, but then I was pretty loopy the rest of the night, and beyond uncomfortable.

The next day, my sister Katie planned to come up and stay with me at the hospital since it was Friday and she didn't have to work the next day. By the time she got there, it was almost 7pm and I was having an anxiety attack. I asked to be sent home, I was clearly hydrated enough and the medicine was SORT of working. I had been throwing up, but not nearly as much as I had been before being admitted. I couldn't stand being there anymore, I wanted to go home and I wanted the IV out of me! The doctor on call gave the OK for me to head home, just warned me that if I had to be admitted again it would likely be for much, much longer of a stay.

I got prescriptions filled for Reglan and more Zofran so I could continue the round the clock of both of them. Fingers were crossed that it helped, I did not want to go back to the hospital until these babies were on their way out!

That following Monday I scheduled my 18-week appointment with the OB up at Perinatology and also the "BIG" ultrasound for the week after. April 3rd was the big day and I couldn't wait to see the twins again and confirm for E & S what "kind" of babies I was carrying.

1 comment: