Thursday, June 21, 2012

Surrogacy in the media

I'm taking a break from MY story to cover the whole topic of surrogacy. Today (real time) there was an article in the Portland Tribune about International Surrogacy. In fact, it was the front cover story.

Portland Tribune - Surrogacy gives birth to industry

The article actually features John Chally, one of the co-founders of NWSC. It covers a lot of the laws around surrogacy in other countries, specifically France where NWSC gets most of their international clients (intended parents.) 

When I saw the article, I immediately thought, "Hey! This is about me!" How cool is it to be a part of something that is changing the world, literally. Not just because I'm going to be giving birth to two babies and helping a couple become parents, but I'm part of something much bigger than that.

Now, there are certainly a lot more things in the media than just today's article in the Tribune. In a sit-com called Suburgatory one of the main characters dates the woman who is a surrogate for one of his best friends. An odd situation, but it just shows that surrogacy is becoming more and more of a "normal" thing. Far from normal, but less uncommon.

Not to mention the hilarious movie, what I consider a "spoof" on the whole thing, Baby Mama starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler which covers surrogacy in a different light.

Even Addison from Private Practice considered the idea of surrogacy when she couldn't conceive herself.

Even with all of the publicity, with celebrities using surrogates for multiple different reasons (some of which I don't agree with), why is it criticized SO much? With the technology that we have, with how far science has come that this is even possible, wouldn't the whole thing be celebrated?

I suppose it is because much like with topic of gay marriage, "different" scares people. Either that, or they don't truly understand. I'm leaning toward the latter. Surrogacy is a very complicated matter, as my reader you have probably gathered that from my posts, but not enough people stop to ask the right questions. Probably for the fear of asking the "wrong" questions or that even with the answers they get, they still won't understand.

If adoption can be accepted, if the world can "accept" (although I wouldn't say that is the right word) an "Octomom" who used fertility drugs to have 8 children, how is it that surrogacy is so far fetched?

Questions to ponder for you, that I still ponder myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment