Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Genetic Testing and early gender predictions!

On February 21st, I had an exciting trip up to Portland for the 13 week genetic testing. This was all new to me as I never accepted the offered screening when I was pregnant with Peyton. There was no need! I didn't care one way or another for one, and two I was so young that my risk of having a baby with a genetic disorder was very slim.

The genetic testing consisted of both blood work and an ultrasound. At this point blood work was nothing to me, and I barely felt the prick of the needle. The ultrasound was the exciting part.

The tech was extremely nice and we got a ton of pictures of both babies, even a couple in 3D! I never had a 3D ultrasound with Peyton, so it was very interesting to see with these two. Especially since there were two babies!


My mom says she couldn't really tell what these 3D photos were supposed to show and it was more creepy than anything. I think it's awesome! Look at those two itty babies! 

The ultrasound tech made some early predictions of what they were, too! She said, and even showed me, that she was pretty sure there was one of each in there. One boy, one girl! How perfect is that? 

She told me not to tell the intended parents, E & S, until after the 20 week ultrasound because she didn't want to be wrong. How could I keep this a secret!? It was so exciting and I know they would be thrilled! 

But, what I know about E & S, they would also think it was 100% and start shopping galore! I should probably wait until it was 100% confirmed. 

The Dr. came in to talk to me after the ultrasound was done and said that all signs point to normal babies! She said of course we had to wait for the blood work, but from what was shown on the ultrasound there was a very small chance of any disorder. She also needed to know the age of the egg donor, to which I had no idea. I never was told, and never really needed to know. I guess a call to Carrie at ORM would help get that info!

Carrie was apparently out on leave, but I was told all that they could give me was her year of birth but not her age. Isn't that basically the same thing? Strange rules they have, I swear! Found out, though, that she was born the same year as me. It brought a lot of questions to mind about her, and why she had chosen to be an egg donor. I felt so much older than I am, having gone through all that I have in my life, but I imagined this super young girl that had no strings in her life and was just donating eggs for extra money. My imagination was all that I had, and all that E & S had besides her medical history. What made her decide to do something this big? How could she not wonder about all the babies she had helped create? 

For me, I could never be an egg donor, as I think I've mentioned before. It will be interesting enough to see how things pan out after the babies are born. I couldn't imagine having so many children running around out there that were MINE. Genetically, at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment