Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Could this get any worse?

March 2nd came around and I was still throwing up everything. Reglan didn't work, Zofran wasn't working, nothing!

I had a dr. appointment scheduled for that day and was hoping for some answers! When I saw Dr. Lewis and he asked how I was feeling, I was kind of like, really? you don't know how I am feeling? Haven't your nurses told you that I have been in the ER twice in the last couple weeks?

Apparently he wasn't aware. That made me really confident in Kaiser, although as I'm sure you can tell I was already more than irritated with them.

He did a bedside ultrasound to check on the twins, and then asked me, yes ASKED if I thought I should be admitted to the hospital because I'd been so sick and dehydrated. Last time I checked, I wasn't the doctor here. Are you really asking my opinion on what I think my care should be? I have no idea! You're supposed to tell me!

He came to the decision that we should send me upstairs to the nursing station for IV fluids to at least get me rehydrated. That's all they would do if he sent me to the ER or hospital anyway, so I figured why not?

I get to the nursing station, and to my surprise it is EXTREMELY nice in there. They have a leather chair that reclines for all of the patient rooms. WAY better than an uncomfortable ER bed, that's for sure. If I had to keep coming in for IV fluids, I would certainly choose this over the ER any day.

They got the IV all hooked up, after a failed attempt on my left arm. Literally, my left arm is always terrible for getting blood drawn or an IV put in. I even warned the nurse that she likely would have to use my right arm, but she was adamant that she could get it. Boy was she wrong and it HURT! For her to be able to hurt me with an IV is really saying something, because I felt like a pin cushion at this point.

Once the IV was in my RIGHT arm, like I had told her from the beginning, she started a bag of fluids, this time with something called thiamine in it. Apparently it is some sort of vitamin mixture which should help restore all that I'd been losing with the hyperemesis. Being that I was at the Kaiser nursing station, instead of the ER, they actually had an IV pump they were using instead of just letting it drip. Hopefully that meant I would be out of here WAY quicker than I was out of the ER.

The nurse asked me how the IV felt, and leaned my chair back so I could relax. Aside from still being nauseas it all felt fine to me and she said she'd come to check on me later.

Shortly after she walked out of the room, I felt like I was going to throw up. That would be normal for me, but then I felt like I was on fire, literally, and it was getting hard to breathe. I called for the nurse and could tell by her reaction when she walked in something was wrong. Apparently, I was as red as an apple. Her reaction only made me panic more and my breathing was turning into hyperventilation. I heard over the loud speaker in the building "Medical emergency in the nursing station. Medical emergency in the nursing station." Clearly, that was me.

A handful of EMTs rushed in the room, as they were turning off the IV. They gave me oxygen to help with my breathing and flushed the IV site with clear saline. Clearly, I was allergic to this "vitamin mix" they had given me.  As if constant vomiting wasn't bad enough, I got to go through the trauma of learning a new allergy, the hard way.

I was only 14 weeks pregnant and already I was done. This so far had been the worst experience of my life. I felt terrible saying and thinking that, but I was a mess. Emotionally, and physically. I couldn't keep anything down, I was STARVING and my clearly intelligent OB wasn't helping matters. All I wanted was to eat and drink like a NORMAL person. I would be fine throwing up once or twice a day, but to not be able to eat or drink ANYTHING was absolutely not ok.

I was lonely, realizing how terrible it was to be pregnant without a boyfriend/husband or SOMEONE there for me. My friends were MIA and my family lived an hour away. Peyton was with the babysitter all the time and I was home alone, going absolutely insane. It was bad enough feeling sick but to feel like I was living on a desolate island with no one to help me was even worse. I felt like I was never going to make it through the whole pregnancy. Why had I decided to do this again? Oh yes, because pregnancy with Peyton had been SO easy and I wanted to help E & S have a family. It was hard to think of that, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment