Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Don't Eat Breakfast yet

On Saturday morning, after another sleepless night, I was still feeling miserable. But, I had a new nurse and she started my day out with HIGH hopes.

She came in to weigh me and give me my morning pills. Prenatal vitamin, iron pill and some other pill I don't remember. She told me, "Don't order breakfast yet." Um, okay? Then... here came the high hopes. "You understand why, right? You have to have an empty stomach for a c-section." 

Where was this coming from? Up until this point I had been told, absolutely not, that the babies wouldn't be coming out until 37 weeks or if it got to the point where my life was being threatened by staying pregnant. (I already felt like that, but... the doctors had other viewpoints on it.)

I already loved this nurse, and I had just met her. But, what did she know that I didn't? I listened, though, and waited to order breakfast. I didn't care how hungry I was, if I was going to get these babies out today I would wait all day to eat. 

Although, I'd never talked about a c-section. Up til this point, I had said that I wanted to try and have them both vaginally. I didn't want to have all that extra healing time, nor did I like the idea of being sliced open. I was getting really scared, but as always things didn't go my way anyway. The on-call doctor came in to talk to me, the same female OB that I very much disliked who wasn't even part of the perinatology group I see. She told me that the babies needed to stay in longer. If they were born now, they'd end up in the NICU. I was 34 weeks and 4 days along. Of course they would end up in the NICU, but they would VERY likely be very healthy babies. I, however, was not healthy. More frustration and more feeling like no one was caring about ME. The babies were going to survive. A lot, a LOT, of twins were born way earlier than almost 35 weeks and did perfectly fine. Why was it that they were being so stubborn about the babies staying in longer? Were they worried that because I was a surrogate things would be different with the babies in the NICU? 

None of it made sense to me. I kept hearing different stories from every OB that was on rounds at the hospital, and I hadn't even seen my primary OB since she admitted me on Thursday. Guaranteed she would be willing to induce me. Where the heck was she?

1 comment: