Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Back to the grind

After all the time I had been on bed rest, in and out of the ER, and just feeling downright miserable, my doctor determined that I could actually go back to work. She limited to me 4 hours a day maximum with a 15 minute break in between. And I was to remain seated for most of my scheduled shift. (I knew already that this was not likely.)

Could this really be happening? Was I really going back to work? Although I was glad to finally get some social interaction, May 27th was one of the hardest days in my pregnancy so far. Yes, even with all that I'd been through thus far.

At least I looked cute... somewhat. You can be the judge:



I was going to a new branch, where I knew absolutely no one. As outgoing as I may seem, I was scared to death. No one here knew my story, but it was obvious I was pregnant. Do I tell them I'm a surrogate and open a book of worms? Or do I just go with the fact that these are my twins I'm carrying? That's what I did in public most of the time.

No, they might realize after me coming back from maternity leave that I didn't have all these pictures of babies, and that I wasn't nearly as tired as a new mom with twins would be. Eventually, I would have to tell them the truth. But, to customers, these were my babies. It was hard enough being out in public, clearly pregnant, and not having a wedding ring on my finger. I was not about to go into the lengthy story that I was a part of.

After a week or so back at work, I was starting to get the hang of not laying in bed all day. I had some good interactions with my coworkers, and really started becoming friends with one in particular. I likely wouldn't have gotten through my days without her. Thanks Ashley!

I finally opened up and told the girls at work that I wasn't having the twins for me, but for a couple from France. I left out most of the details, but at least they knew they weren't mine.

The staying seated for the 4 hours thing was NOT working, although like I said I knew it wasn't likely. I was constantly standing and walking around the branch the whole time. The only time I was seated was the short periods of time I was helping a customer. By the end of my 4 hours, I was exhausted and ready to sleep the remainder of the day. If I kept this up, it wouldn't be good for my pregnancy. We'd see how long it would be before my OB took me off again.

2 comments: