Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Hospital, again!

July 12th came and I was ready for my OB visit. I was just over 33 weeks pregnant. If you remember, I'd gained 6 pounds in about a week at my last appointment. I was hoping, just maybe, that I wouldn't have gained any more since then. Boy was I wrong. Up another 8 pounds! 14 pounds in just over two weeks. This was getting ridiculous.

My swelling hadn't decreased by any means, and clearly that was what most of the weight gain was coming from. I was drinking as much water as I could, but it seemed my body was simply holding onto it.

When I got to the appointment they asked me the standard questions I was used to by now. Have you experienced a headache recently? Why yes, for about a week now. Have you noticed any swelling? Um... can't YOU notice it? Have you had any blurred vision? Yes... And your BP seems to be elevated as well. I had a feeling I was answering the questions in all the wrong ways.

My OB came in and was pretty concerned with how I'd answered the questions. All of the symptoms I had were all indications of preeclampsia. From my understanding of preeclampsia at the time, that meant GET THE BABY(IES) OUT! I thought I'd be super excited about that because I was completely miserable. But, when my OB said she wanted me to be admitted to Labor & Delivery ASAP, I got more scared than I thought possible.

I cried, and cried and cried some more waiting for the transport over to the hospital. Thankfully, my OB's office was in the same parking lot as the hospital and the transport simply meant a wheelchair. I was still pretty panicked when they got there, and when I got settled into my room. My OB had ordered a 24-hour urine test to check the level of protein in my urine, as my dipstick test had shown a good amount. Yet another sign of preeclampsia. If the test came back that the level was too high, I could be having the babies tomorrow.

I was all by myself, as I usually was at these appointments, and didn't have my phone charger with me. I had NOTHING with me for that matter. I hadn't packed for the hospital yet, because I assumed I had more time. And I was all the way up in Portland, where the rest of my family was down in Corvallis. I HATE hospitals, as most people do, and being alone made it that much worse. Why had I decided to do this while single? Why, why, why? I couldn't think rationally at this point.

I asked my OB what her thoughts were on calling E & S, because of course they would want to be here if the babies were coming. She suggested not jumping the gun, because the urine test could come back perfectly normal tomorrow. So, I waited... anxiously. But, I waited nonetheless. I had no other choice, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment