Wednesday, May 2, 2012

One Embryo, Two Embryos

The day was FINALLY here. December 11, 2011. My mom and Penny were going to accompany me for the big event. My mom's husband dropped her off at my house bright and early, and we headed up to Portland. Penny was already in Vancouver, so she would meet us there!

I had to have a full bladder for the procedure, so at 8:15am, an hour before my appointment, I had to stop drinking anything but clear liquid. I got a hot chocolate at Dutch Brothers on the way up there, and brought along some water bottles as well. I was dreading the clock turning 8:15 only because I absolutely hate drinking plain water, and I knew what it was like to have a full bladder and have to hold it in. I nearly peed myself when I was waiting for my 20 week ultrasound with Peyton because of how full my bladder was.

We got to ORM early, as usual, and I checked in. My bladder didn't feel very full at this point, although I had drank a lot of water. So, I kept drinking. And drinking... The wait for them to call me back seemed like an eternity. I took that time to update my Facebook status as "Busy getting pregnant!" Not normally something one would post for her friends to see, but I wasn't doing the actual deed that most people do to get pregnant!

Finally, the nurse called me back to my waiting room where I would take a Valium and get relaxed before they did the embryo transfer. I got to wear some pretty sweet blue booties and a cap. Here's a picture for your amusement:


By the time they took me back for the embryo transfer, I was in serious pain from how full my bladder was. I told the nurse, and she said it was possible I had overfilled it (I agreed!) so she would have Dr. Bankowski check it and I could possibly "release" some before they did the transfer.

I was bummed because my Mom and Penny had to wait in my "room" while I went in for the procedure, but I was assured I'd be back soon!

Dr. Bankowski confirmed that indeed I had overfilled my bladder. Trust me, I was feeling it! So I was able to go to the bathroom, but only a dixie cup size amount. They even gave me a dixie cup to fill so I could measure.

Once that was over with, I was back on what felt like an operating table. The most amazing part of this all was not how quickly the procedure went, but being able to see the two embryos before they were implanted. Science is so awesome!

The procedure went rather quickly, and Dr. Bankowski said it went great! I had to lie still for a certain period of time before I could get up and leave. Or before I could release the rest of the water in my bladder which by this point, even with the dixie cup amount I got to go, seemed like it was going to explode.

After waiting forever, I went to the restroom and then was given instructions from the Dr and taken down to my car via wheelchair. Bed rest for the rest of the day and all day tomorrow. I was to get up ONLY to use the restroom, and nothing more. My mom was staying with me today and tomorrow to help with meals, etc.

On the way home, E & S called me on Skype! Both of them were crying and so extremely excited that this step in the process was finally done! They said I looked great, but I remember being VERY loopy. It was the Valium finally taking full effect. We didn't talk long, but they told me they were thinking of me and to rest up.

We would have a blood test to confirm pregnancy in just over a week on the 19th. That would really make all of this real.

When we were finally home, I slept for quite some time. The Valium was definitely working its magic. Once I finally had to get up to use the bathroom, I was beyond nervous that I would move too quickly or do something that would ruin the embryo transfer. I didn't want them to just fall out! I mastered the "rolling out of bed" trick and tried just to sleep as much as possible. Mom was great making me dinner and bringing me anything and everything I needed. My new Kindle Fire to read on, the TV remote, food, water, more food.

I was so anxious for it to be December 19th so we could know for sure that I was pregnant, and then for the ultrasound to confirm if it was still twins. This was going to be the longest week yet.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Samantha! I'm Caryn's sister. I'm excited to keep reading your blog. Isn't it amazing what doctors can do? I can't wait for this to all be happening to my sister. So exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to be able to share it and that Caryn challenged me to do this blog. It feels great to finally get all the emotions out! And I'm happy she gets a glimpse of how things work before they happen to her. :)

      Delete