Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Change in plans


Everything was going well with my hormone injections, and by this time (December 2011) I was a PRO at giving myself shots. I even sucked it up and gave myself the Delestrogen, which goes in your "upper buttocks" to put it properly. Yes, I have been giving myself injections in the butt! How crazy is all this?

Based on the original calendar, aligned with the calendar for the egg donor, our embryo transfer was tentatively scheduled for the 13th or 14th of December. I would have to be on bed rest the remainder of the day directly after the transfer was complete, and then the following day. I already had fixed the schedule at work to make sure that I could be gone two days without problem, and I was just counting down the days until that week. I couldn't believe that we were SO close to the "big day" as I had been waiting for this for what seemed like forever. July... December, same thing right?

On December 4th, I got the best phone call ever (at this point). Some lady from ORM, who I can't remember her name for the life of me (not my regular POC Carrie), called me around noon that day. When I saw the phone number pop up on my phone, I'm not going to lie I was completely nervous. As you all know, there have been so many things that have pushed this embryo transfer back thus far, I just had a feeling that this was going to be another little thing to cause us to have to wait even longer. It was not one of those things. 

"Hi Samantha, this is (insert name here) from ORM. I just wanted to let you know that it looks like the egg retrieval for the donor (this is where I started panicking) will actually happen two days earlier than planned!" It takes me a second to really comprehend what she just said, but I finally was able to spit out, "So that means the embryo transfer will happen sooner as well?" Her answer was YES!!! Ahh I couldn't contain my excitement. The embryo transfer would happen this Sunday, December 11th! Oh my goodness!

The first thing I did after hanging up the phone was call my mom, who didn't answer. So, as I always do, I tried my sister Sarah next. (Maybe she knew where Mom was, and I could tell her the good news too!) It just so happened that ALL of my sisters, well, most of them, were together and had me on speaker phone. So I shared what I thought was the most exciting news thus far in this whole thing, and got absolutely no excitement in return. None. They were more concerned with the fact that I would be missing Sunday dinner that week, and it was my time to buy groceries. I felt shattered inside. 

Hoping to turn around this horrible feeling I had, I tried my mom again. She finally answered, and her main concern was getting a car to get up here for the transfer. No excitement in her voice either. What was wrong with these people? My FAMILY?! I couldn't call E &S, because... well, it was Paris we were talking about but I needed someone to be as ecstatic as I was. I was getting pregnant in ONE WEEK!!! 

Finally, I got some excitement but it wasn't from my family. My "Mom Group" as I call them to everyone else, AKA a group of moms I met online back when I was pregnant with Peyton and we have kept in touch this whole time and now my best friends. They were certain to be excited for me. And I was right! Thank goodness for them. 

The next day, December 5th, Carrie from ORM called me to confirm I had received the news about the change in dates and also inform me that she needed to send me an updated calendar. I posted about this in my "Mom Group" on Facebook that day:

Tonight I started Progesterone which is a hormone that helps with early pregnancy, according to my little medication list. I feel like that is the definition of all the medication I'm on, but obviously they all must do different things. 

Along with the Progesterone, on Mondays and Fridays I take Delestrogen. I swear the needles on these things are GIGANTIC and scare me every time, but somehow I get through it. It's funny, they say "these medications can be self administered, but it's best to have someone there to help you." Yes, it probably would be BEST if someone were here to help, but I have NO ONE because all of my friends that I trust to help with such things are on opposite schedules of me. So, I give myself an injection in my "upper buttocks" twice a week up til now, and now EVERY DAY. I must say I'm pretty surprised at myself that I have made it through all these shots. The Lupron (which I was taking daily in my stomach, and through an insulin syringe) was a piece of cake. These guys, are a little more tricky. And... not to gross anyone out but the liquid is probably the THICKEST stuff in the world. It takes FOREVER to finish the shot because it just won't go fast at all. A very thick liquid going through a very small needle. 

I go in tomorrow for a blood draw, and then start an antibiotic and some other medication via pill as well. Then Sunday, the BIG day happens at about 9:15am. They will give me a Valium before the transfer, and then I'm on bed rest the rest of the day and for the next 24 hours. So I will miss only Monday from work, and back to myself again afterwards. 

If we're being honest... I'm getting EXTREMELY nervous as time gets closer to the transfer. I worry something will go wrong and I will have a miscarriage, or the transfer won't stick, or all sorts of things! I'm saying lots of prayers hoping that it all works out perfect. 

The truth was, I was nervous beyond belief. Yes, excited because the big day was just around the corner, but now I kept thinking about all the things that could go wrong. I had to tell myself to focus on the positive, and that everything happens for a reason. If the embryo transfer didn't take, they would try again. If I had a miscarriage, we would try again. E & S would have a baby or babies one way or another. 


No comments:

Post a Comment