Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gestational vs. Traditional

I realized that I haven't officially covered the topic of whose eggs will be used when I get pregnant. I've called myself a gestational surrogate, but left it to assumption that everyone understands there are different types of surrogacy.

For those unfamiliar, I have borrowed the information from NWSC's FAQ page.


What’s the difference between gestational surrogacy and traditional surrogacy?

In a gestational surrogacy, embryos—consisting of eggs and sperm from the intended parents and/or from donors—are transferred to a surrogate via IVF (in vitro fertilization). The intended parents usually establish parental rights before the baby is born. NWSC works exclusively with gestational surrogacy.
In a traditional surrogacy, the surrogate’s own eggs are fertilized via artificial insemination with the sperm of a donor or an intended parent. The baby shares genetic material with the surrogate mother as well as with an intended parent or donor.
I like to put it that I am merely the womb, or incubator. My body is on loan, but in the end there is no genetic relation to me and the baby(ies). 
Being honest, as I always am, a gestational surrogate is the only type I could ever be. Knowing that I am in no way related to the baby(ies) I will carry is the only way that I will be able to get through the actual "giving up of the child(ren)" at the end of the pregnancy. 
As thankful I am for the many wonderful women who are able to donate eggs so that women like myself can carry them, I could never actually have a child out there that was mine, that I wasn't parenting.
So, since E & S are a same-sex couple and don't have eggs of their own, they have chosen an egg donor to be used. I don't know much of the process they went through in selecting an egg donor, but I know that it is completely different than the process of choosing a surrogate. They never met, nor ever will meet the egg donor. They see a picture, or pictures and get a piece of paper with information regarding the genetic background and any health issues. That's pretty much it. I could only imagine how difficult it would be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment